- This event has passed.
SOLD OUT – Stained Glass – Private Instruction – February 18, 2023
February 18 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm$75
This is a 4-hour, private instruction beginner class for stained glass. During these 4 hours, you will work with Jill at Huentelglas’ studio (located upstairs at Gallery 222 in Malvern, PA) to create a stained glass pear ornament / suncatcher. Learn how to cut and grind glass, copper foil glass, solder and finish the piece for hanging. This is a great class for people to explore stained glass from start to finish with a small project.
This class will cover:
- Overview of stained glass
- Brief history of stained glass
- Glass textures / styles, manufacturers
- Pattern making
- Good design elements
- Pattern Shears – how they work
- Scoring (how to cut) glass
- Overview of glass cutters (i.e. oil fed, pencil type, pistol cutter, Silberschnitt)
- Tools used to work with glass (i.e. grozer pliers, running pliers, nippers, etc.)
- Basics of scoring glass
- Scoring glass to a pattern
- Grinding glass
- Overview of grinders
- Grinder bits, grinder cookies
- Copper foiling-stained glass
- Basics of copper foiling stained glass pieces
- Basics of soldering
- Overview of fluxes, different types of solder
- Soldering stained glass
- Finishing a stained-glass piece for hanging
- Adding a jump ring
- Re-enforcing stained glass
- Applying a finishing compound
This class is a great for getting an overview of stained glass, to help determine whether this is a hobby you would be interested in pursuing. You will also receive a list of resources / basic supplies, if you were to pursue the hobby on your own.
Minimum age: 14 years old, with parental signature. All participants will be required to wear eye protection, and closed-toe shoes. In addition, participants must sign the Stained Glass Waiver Form prior to coming to class: https://huentelglas.com/stained-glass-waiver-form
If interested in the class, please submit the following information, and we will be in touch!